June 20, 2013

The Steampunk Universe - Part One / Introduction



Still from "Sucker Punch" (2011, Directed by Zack Snyder): The imagination of a (Steampunk-like) WWI soldier




I remember the first time when I saw "Return to Oz" (1985), the sequel to the legendary original film, and my favorite character in it was definitely "Tik Tok". This bold, mechanical soldier who helped Dorothy to find her friends again. Speaking with this voice of steel, moving stiffly and vivid at the same time. Since then, I was eager to find a Tic Toc miniature figure or any more information about him. I wasn't aware back then that this metallic being could be easily taken as a part of the Steampunk culture, which started to evolve just a few years after the movie's release.

Some describe it as the "Art of Victorian Futurism". The creation of machines, cyborgs, objects or landscapes which seem to be built with the technology of the 19th century, but obviously far more sophisticated and advanced than they could have ever been back then. Truly utopian. There are many variations of Retro-Futurism. Steampunk is one of the most popular and versatile ones these days.

On my following posts, I want to show you my personal favorites, inspirations and famous examples of this highly interesting art. And I will also compare some details in selected movies to Steampunk-inspired objects which catched my eye in particular. Here are some impressions of Steampunk visions from different sections like landscapes, objects, clothing, graphic design, etc.

I'm gonna select some special examples which I'd personally describe as Steampunk or Steampunk-like art, which doesn't mean that they really are. You (or the person who created them) may also consider the works as a completely different kind of expression. Look for yourself ;-)


Book Design by John Coulthart: "Steampunk: Life in our new century" (2009)

3D Illustration by Meduzarts (In House Project): "Octopus"

Still from the movie "Tai Chi Zero" (2012, Directed by Stephen Fung)

Still from the movie "Howl's moving castle" (2004, Directed by Hayao Miyazaki)
Photography / Illustration by Sam Van Olffen

And finally, I'll present you the bold, metallic soldier that I mentioned in the beginning - "Tik Tok" from the movie "Return to Oz" (1985):


Tik Tok (Return to Oz, 1985)
Tik Tok's Badge of the "Royal Army of Oz" (Return to Oz, 1985)
Tik Tok's "Manual" on his backside (Return to Oz, 1985)
Tik Tok (Return to Oz, 1985)


The next time I'll dive even deeper into the Steampunk universe, with more fascinating and compelling examples.
To be continued;-)


Copyright for the picture by Sam Van Olffen : vanolffen.blogspot.com
Copyright for the picture by Meduzarts : medzuarts.com
Copyright for the picture by John Coulthart : johncoulthart.com

1 comment: